Apple SVP Deidre O’Brien has penned an open letter on the company’s American website today, detailing the company’s plans to reopen its retail stores.
O’Brien says as of May 17, 2020, close to 100 Apple Stores have reopened and now more stores are set to reopen this week, with new safety measures in place to protect employees and customers.
“Our commitment is to only move forward with a reopening once we’re confident we can safely return to serving customers from our stores. We look at every available piece of data — including local cases, near and long-term trends, and guidance from national and local health officials. These are not decisions we rush into — and a store opening in no way means that we won’t take the preventative step of closing it again should local conditions warrant,” explained the retail chief.
When stores reopen, Apple will require face masks for customers, temperature checks at entrances and also ask health-related COVID-19 exposure questions. Stores will also see “enhanced deep cleanings” throughout the day on all surfaces, products and high-traffic areas.
Also new, is curb-side pick-up and drop off, available with online orders and retail customers.
Apple told Bloomberg in a statement it plans to reopen 12 retail stores in Canada this week, along with 25 in the United States.
In the United States, stores reopening will take be in Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, Oklahoma and Washington state. No specifics were shared in regards to which Canadian Apple Stores will be reopening this week.
Apple is currently reopening stores in Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Australia. The company closed all stores down in mid-March outside Greater China, in an effort to mitigate the spread of coronavirus.
Update: The following Apple Stores are slated to reopen this week so far, after we checked Apple’s website. Eight are listed as opening this week as of writing…on May 18, Apple added stores in Alberta, making for the initial list of 12 stores:
- Apple Metrotown – Opens on Wed at 11:00 a.m.
- Apple Coquitlam Centre – Opens on Wed at 11:00 a.m.
- Apple Richmond Centre – Opens on Wed at 11:00 a.m.
- Apple Guildford Town Centre – Opens on Wed at 10:00 a.m.
- Apple Oakridge Centre – Opens on Wed at 11:00 a.m.
- Apple Pacific Centre – Opens on Wed at 11:00 a.m.
- Apple Polo Park – Opens on Wed at 11:00 a.m.
- Apple Halifax Shopping Centre – Opens on Wed at 11:00 a.m.
Alberta (added May 18)
- Apple Chinook Centre – Opens on Thu at 11:00 a.m.
- Apple Market Mall – Opens on Thu at 11:00 a.m.
- Apple Southgate Centre – Opens on Thu at 10:00 a.m.
- Apple West Edmonton – Opens on Thu at 11:00 a.m.