Veteran analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed in his latest note to clients that Apple is working on updates across its entire product lineup, and will refresh the iPhone, iPad, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, as well as the Apple Watch in the second half of 2018, MacRumors is reporting.
Although Kuo mentions much of what has been shared before as well, he does share some interesting new tidbits on Apple’s upcoming plans.
In addition to a major refresh across its product line, Apple is also expected to mass produce the highly anticipated AirPower in the third quarter of 2018. According to Kuo, the product is currently on track for a late fall launch.
Here’s what Kuo detailed in his investor’s note today:
- iPhone – There are three iPhones in the works, two OLED models in 5.8 and 6.5-inch sizes and one lower-cost LED model that will be available in a 6.1-inch size. All three will feature Face ID and upgraded A12 processors. While the two OLED models will have dual-lens cameras, the lower-cost model will feature a single-lens camera.
- iPad Pro – Apple is working on two new 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models that are equipped with a full-screen design similar to the iPhone X and no Home button, with Apple to replace Touch ID with Face ID.
- Mac mini – Kuo didn’t have a lot of information to share on the Mac mini, but he says a processor upgrade is expected. The Mac mini has not been updated for more than 1,300 days, aka over 3 and a half years. It’s not clear if additional upgrades will be included, such as a redesigned chassis, but at least some kind of refresh is on the horizon.
- MacBook Pro – Processor upgrades expected.
- MacBook – Processor upgrades expected.
- New Low-Priced Notebook – Kuo believes Apple is designing a new low-priced notebook. He originally said that this would be in the MacBook Air family, but now has changed his mind. Previous rumors have suggested this machine could be a 12-inch MacBook, so Apple may be planning to expand the MacBook lineup with an additional low-cost option to replace the MacBook Air.
- iMac – Kuo says to expect a significant display performance upgrade, but he does not go into detail about what this will entail and we haven’t heard additional iMac rumors at this time. He says the iMac, like other Macs, will get a processor refresh.
- Apple Watch – Apple is working on two new Apple Watch models for 2018 that will have bigger displays and enhanced heart rate detection features. The two Apple Watch models will measure in at 1.57 inches (39.9mm) and 1.78 inches (45.2mm), compared to the current 38 and 42mm sizes. Rumors have not been clear on whether the Apple Watch itself will be larger or if the bigger display will come from a reduction in bezels.
While the analyst does not mention any particularl dates for Apple’s expected product refreshes, it would be safe to assume that majority of them will be announced at the iPhone maker’s annual September event.