OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei on late Tuesday evening teased his new company Nothing’s first smartphone, dubbed (for some reason) phone (1) — reports The Verge.
Pei founded OnePlus alongside Pete Lau in 2013, before departing the company in October 2020 to start his own hardware venture.
“Leaks are harder to contain nowadays and many of you have been waiting for a long time,” Pei said in a tweet. “So here it is.”
An official announcement for the phone (1) is scheduled for July 12.
Leaks are harder to contain nowadays and many of you have been waiting for a long time. So here it is. This is phone (1) design.
More to come. Tune in on 12 July. https://t.co/aOqmhLylCI
— Carl Pei (@getpeid) June 15, 2022
It looks like Pei decided to take a page out of Google’s book. The Android maker previewed its upcoming Pixel 7 lineup, which isn’t due out until later this year, during the Pixel 6a announcement last month.
Nothing’s unorthodox naming scheme aside, the teaser reveals a dual-camera setup on the rear and, most notably, a transparent back. Pei also said at a previous event that the smartphone’s chassis would contain light strips. The transparent back will help make the most of those strips.
What’s more, a cartoon bomb-shaped emblem on the back of the device gives us our first look at what is quite possibly Nothing’s logo.
Beyond what can be seen in the teaser image, reports indicate that Nothing’s phone (1) will feature a Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and Nothing OS, the company’s own flavour of Android.
What are your thoughts on the phone (1)’s rear design? Do you think Pei will be able to recapture what made the OnePlus brand so good in its early days with the phone (1)? Let us know in the comments below.