As part of the company’s commitment to donate 10 million fully or partially subsidized rides to vaccine sites worldwide, Uber Canada has today announced a new partnership with BC211 to distribute promotional codes for subsidized rides to vaccination sites.
Uber Canada will be providing up to $148,500 in promotional codes for rides to help reduce transportation barriers by assisting people with trips to and from COVID-19 vaccination appointments within the Uber service area in Vancouver and surrounding municipalities.
Uber Canada is also running similar programs in Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, and Toronto.
“Uber is pleased to offer residents across Metro Vancouver with access to transportation to and from their COVID-19 vaccine appointments,” said Michael van Hemmen, Head of City Operations in Canada for Uber.
“As more people book their vaccination appointments, Uber wants to do its part to help reduce barriers for people in getting their vaccine and help keep our communities healthy and safe.”
Here’s how the promotion works:
- Residents within the service area who have no other transportation option to get to their vaccination appointment call or text 2-1-1.
- A 211 Navigator will assess the caller’s needs and provide a unique promo code to be used through the Uber app.
- Each promo code will give two rides, up to $15 off each (maximum $30 total discount per person). The payment profile on an individual’s Uber account will be charged for the balance remaining.
- The promo code can only be used on rides that begin within the Uber service area in Vancouver and surrounding municipalities.
- Each promo code can only be applied once per user. If a ride is less than $15, the remaining balance does not “roll over” to a future ride.
- Promo codes are redeemable until September 30, 2021.
Uber’s commitment to subsidized rides in British Columbia builds on previous initiatives in Canada and abroad to support vaccination plans.