Starbucks has released their highly anticipated iOS 7 iPhone update in the USA and Canada, which brings a brand new design plus new features such as “Shake to Pay” and digital tipping for American stores.
What’s New in Version 3.0
• Digital Tipping (U.S. company-operated stores): You’re welcome to tip your barista up two hours after your purchase. You’ll receive a push notification after each eligible transaction.
• Dashboard: See your rewards level, available rewards, inbox messages and most recent transactions.
• Shake-to-Pay: For added convenience, simply shake your device to show the barcode to pay at the register.
• Share Rewards Milestones: Reached Gold Level? Spread the word on Facebook and Twitter.
• Integrated History: View your entire account history—including purchases made, Stars earned and rewards redeemed—in a single feed.
Starbucks locations in Canada have been teasing the new iPhone update with promotional cards near the drink pick up counter, such as the one pictured below (oh, and here are some promo codes to enjoy—thanks Jeremy!):
Click here to download the new Starbucks iPhone app. The Starbucks Canada app is no longer being updated and this new app is for both countries.
Update: We have updated this article to reflect the new Starbucks iOS 7 app is a download for both countries. So go get it!
Update 2: Here are some observations on this new app:
- Added security–you’re asked to verify your password when adding a new credit card
- To delete a card, swipe up in card view
- For a few minutes after viewing a card, swiping up anywhere on the main screen brings up your card again. Once time has elapsed swiping up will bring up store search.
- More store locations have been added
- Do we get the ‘Transfer Balance’ feature?
Update March 25: Starbucks has sent out an email to customers saying the ‘old’ app will be discontinued and can be deleted once you sign into the new one (which will require your password).