Apple’s Special Event introduced a wicked demo of an amazing upcoming game: Epic Citadel. Created by the makers of UnrealÂ Tournament, Â the demonstration by the developers showed some of the most amazing graphics I’ve seen on a mobile device. It looks stunning on the Retina Display of the iPhone 4.
Here’s the iTunes description:
The Citadel Awaits You!
From the circus bazaar on the outskirts of the castle grounds to the mysterious cathedral at the center of town, Epic Citadel will dazzle you with a visual parade of special effects that recreates a stunning and realistic world only imagined by Epic Games, and powered by the critically acclaimed and award winning Unreal Engine 3.
Are you ready to explore the realm of the Epic Citadel and all the beautiful secrets it holds?
Epic Citadel was created using the same tools and technology used to develop high-end console games, now delivered for iOS devices!
Here are the technical features of the game from the Epic Citadel website:
- Amazing visuals. â€œEpic Citadelâ€ pushes the envelope for stunning visuals on iOS devices. Through the latest advances in Unreal Engine 3 technology, the application delivers unrivaled graphics and special effects that immerse players in the kingdomâ€™s grounds.
- Bump offset mapping. Also known as parallax mapping or relief mapping, bump offset mapping enhances the visual appearance of stone walls and rocks providing intricate textures.
- Normal mapped architecture. Brings stunning detail to bricks and ground surfaces within the environment.
- Texture blending with painted weight maps. Refines nuances on roads and terrain, making them rich and lifelike.
- Global illumination. Unreal Engine 3â€™s built-in global illumination system, Unreal Lightmass, provides realistic lighting and shadows with minimal development resources.
- Dynamic specular lighting with texture masks. Helps create authentic cobblestone roads and vivid reflective marble surfaces, while lens flares and light coronas add dramatic emphasis when panning across light sources.
- Real-time reflections and animation. Environment mapping enables real-time reflections on objects such as the statue inside the cathedral. Dynamic movements of trees and banners are made possible through the use of vertex deformation and skeletal animation.
Here’s the clip from the Special Event Demonstration:
The free demo gives you an overview of the Epic Citadel and you can take a look at the incredible detail of the textures in the game.
Click here to download in iTunes!