How to Jailbreak iPhone 4S with Absinthe [Tutorial]
Today the world finally received the iPhone 4S untethered jailbreak thanks to @pod2g and the ‘Dream Team’. GreenPois0n Absinthe was released first by the Chronic Dev Team. Want to jailbreak your iPhone 4S? Here’s a quick tutorial on how to jailbreak it with GreenPois0n Absinthe.
Absinthe iPhone 4S Jailbreak Prep:
– Ensure you are on iOS 5.0.1; backup your data
– Download the latest version of Absinthe v0.3:
- GreenPois0n Absinthe v0.3 for Windows
- GreenPois0n Absinthe v0.3 for Mac OS X
- GreenPois0n Absinthe v0.3 for Linux
– Turn off your device Passcode Lock; remove any PIN locks
– Delete existing VPN clients
Warning: Proceed only at your own risk, we are not responsible should anything go wrong with your iPhone 4S!
Step 1: Plug in your iPhone 4S to your computer and launch Absinthe. It will detect your iPhone 4S (or iPad 2). Click ‘Jailbreak’.
It will definitely take a while so be PATIENT. Just wait, and keep your iPhone 4S plugged into your computer.
Step 2: Your iPhone screen will show ‘Restore in Progress’ and jailbreak data will be uploaded to your device.
Step 4: Your iPhone will reboot, and the Absinthe icon will be on your Homescreen. It most likely will be on the last page. Launch it and you’ll see a white screen and the jailbreak process will begin. Be patient and do not exit this screen or close the app.
Step 4A: If you run into the “Error establishing a database connection”, or if the screen stays white, go to General–>Settings–>Network–VPN–and toggle the jailbreak VPN to ON. An error will occur–just wait–and your iPhone will reboot.
Step 5: Your iPhone will reboot, you will now notice the Absinthe icon will be replaced by Cydia. Voila!
Miscellaneous Troubleshooting Notes (via @planetbeing)
– If your Camera Roll is missing, it is because you have an incomplete jailbreak. Re-run the Absinthe OS X app to fix it, then again to re-jailbreak
– If Absinthe crashes, reboot your iPhone 4S and try again
– Toggle the VPN only after the Absinthe OS X app says it’s done.
– Running Absinthe from Terminal seems to fix issues for some people: cd to where the app is and ./Absinthe.app/Contents/MacOS/Absinthe
– Redo the jailbreak if all else fails; it will detect an incomplete jailbreak and repair the situation; just re-jailbreak
Let us know how this brief guide works for you. Be patient and persistent!