Viber Launches 3.0 for iOS Plus Viber Desktop for Mac, Windows
Viber has announced today the 3.0 update for its iOS app to introduce video messages, a new improved voice engine, a new online status indicator, new fun stickers, tweaked user interface and more. Here’s what’s new in the iOS 3.0 update:
What’s New in Version 3.0
• Support for all new Viber Desktop – on Windows and MacOS!!
• Transfer live calls between Viber on your iPhone and Viber on Desktop
• You can now send video messages to your friends
• All new voice engine improves sound quality on both low quality and high quality networks
• Online status indicator tells you when your friends are connected to Viber. Note: users can receive messages even when not connected!
• In app banner indicates that you received new messages
• Automatically download new photos for faster viewing
• You can now add a caption to the photos and videos you send
• Easily browse through photos received from specific users or groups
• Show only groups in messages screen, so you can quickly find a specific group
• Larger photos and larger photo thumbnails
• Better looking contact info screen
• New package of fun stickers
• Accessibility is now supported
But the most significant announcement is the launch of Viber Desktop for Mac and Windows, which now allows users to seamlessly communicate with friends from either your iPhone or computer, similar to iMessage.
Viber Desktop allows the exact same functionality as the iOS app with free voice and video calls, plus you can transfer live video calls between the desktop and mobile app. Setup is easy as you just again enter your number and Viber will text you a confirmation code. Your contacts and messages will be synced between the iOS and desktop app.
There are various settings to have Viber launch on start up and also you can customize where notifications will be displayed on your Mac. Our early tests with Viber Desktop have worked pretty much as described.
Viber is essentially an alternative to Skype for calling friends for free with the app, as its voice quality is excellent. We haven’t used the app in a while but now that there is a desktop companion app, we just might use it again.