Watch ‘iOS in the Car’ Functionality from iOS 7.0.3 in Action [VIDEO]
Last week, iOS developer Steve Throughton-Smith shared a handful of great new screenshots of the forthcoming ‘iOS in the Car’ feature and today, he has uploaded a video showing the much anticipated iOS feature in action, via a barebones implementation that is actually present in the already released iOS 7.0.3 but not accessible by default (via MacRumors).
As you can see in the video embedded below, it shows ‘iOS in the Car’ feature being run in the iOS Simulator software for developers, with the in-dash display represented by a separate 800×480 window. Troughton-Smith points out that the iOS in the Car feature supports multiple resolutions of external displays, touch input and hardware controls, and voice input.
Here are the notes posted alongside the video:
– Supports Multiple Resolutions
– Supports touchscreens (presumably single-touch?), hardware buttons, wheels and touchpads
– Does not support multitasking
– Car display will always show same current on-screen app as iPhone (which can be locked/asleep)
– Whitelisted to specific Apple apps
– No public API for developers [yet?]
– Has no keyboard UI
– Voice recognition as input
– UI clearly subject to change
– Missing functionality in video is due to iOS Simulator not containing all the stock iOS apps
Troughton-Smith also notes that the user interface is subject to change before the final public release. Check out the video and tell us what you think!