Top 1% of Publishers Account for Over 80% of App Store Downloads

Sensor Tower’s latest App Store data has revealed that the top 1% of publishers accounted for nearly 80% of 29.6 billion global App Store downloads in the third quarter of 2019, leaving only 20% of downloads for the rest of the publishers (via TechCrunch).

One percent apps downloads

According to the report, there were over 3.4 million apps available across the App Store and Google Play in 2018, up 65% from the 2.2 million apps available in 2014. But the number of apps that were able to achieve at least 1,000 installs has declined from 30% to 26%.

In terms of revenue, only 1,526 publishers generated $20.5 billion out of the total $22 billion in revenue in the quarter, whereas 151,056 publishers split the remaining $1.5 billion:

“In terms of games revenue alone, the 445 publishers that make up the top 1% generated $15.5 billion in revenue, or 95% of all revenue, with the remaining $800 million split between the 44,029 publishers in the bottom 99%. This averages out to around $18,100 each.”

You can get more details on the latest App Store statistics from the Sensor Tower website.