How to Transfer Your Signal App Chat History to Another iPhone
Last week, encrypted messaging app Signal introduced a new blur tool that can be used to hide faces in photos before sharing them and today, the app has added the ability to transfer your account data, including your conversation history, to another iOS device from your existing iPhone or iPad (via The Verge).
“This is the first time that upgrading to a new device without losing any information has been possible on iOS,” notes Signal in an official blog post. As with every new Signal feature, the process is end-to-end encrypted and “designed to protect your privacy,” adds the company.
The process works via a QR code, which your new device generates and your old device scans, And since the transfers occur over a local connection similar to AirDrop, even large migrations can be completed quickly.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to transfer your Signal chat app data to another iOS device:
- With your existing iPhone (or iPad) in one hand, and your new iPhone (or iPad) in the other, you are ready to begin.
- Install Signal on the new device and start the registration process.
- After verifying your phone number on the new device, tap the prompt asking if you would like to transfer your account and message history from another iOS device.
- Look for the migration prompt on your existing device, and confirm whether or not you want to initiate the transfer process.
- Use the existing device to scan the QR code that is displayed on the new device.
- Sit back and watch the transfer proceed. This process usually only takes a few minutes.
Once the transfer is complete, your existing device will clear its Signal data and you can start using Signal on the new device.