Apple Plans to be Completely Carbon Neutral for Supply Chain and Products by 2030

Today, Apple announced their plans to have a zero carbon footprint by 2030.  Receiving over $100 million in funding from the US-China Green Fund, the company will work towards expanding energy efficiency.

Apple is looking at bringing their emission levels down by 75% by 2030, with “Innovative carbon removal solutions” implemented for the remaining 25%. More details can be found in the 2020 Environment Report released today. They also revealed that the first batch of 16-inch MacBook Pro will be made of its new low carbon aluminum.

Product recycling will play a huge role in developing more low carbon designs. The robot “Dave” recycles the Taptic Engine found in iPhones, helping with product disassembly and the recovery of “key materials such as rare earth magnets and tungsten”.

Apple uploaded a video about their plans to have a positive impact on the climate in the future:

YouTube video

Apple then went on to further explain their goal in the description:

By 2030 our whole carbon footprint — from manufacturing to transportation to end-of-life material recovery — will be nonexistent. All of Apple will be 100 percent carbon neutral. To do that, we’ll be using renewable energy and recycled materials throughout our supply chain.

In their latest press release, Apple CEO Tim Cook stated that “businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share.”

As part of this initiative, Apple is to develop an Impact Accelerator that will help minority-owned businesses and focus on supply chains. Having already reduced average energy usage by 73%, over seventy of their suppliers use 100% renewable energy for production. It seems like Apple has a bright future ahead of them.

P.S. - Like our news? Support the site with a coffee/beer. Or shop with our Amazon link. We use affiliate links when possible--thank you for supporting independent media.