Canadian YouTube Creators Helping Move Economy and Culture Forward
Canadian YouTube creators are essential to helping to move the country’s economy and culture forward, say the video streaming platform.
A new report from Oxford Economics called From Impact to Opportunity has revealed new insights into how Canadian YouTube creators are helping move the country’s economy and culture forward.
The report notes that, in 2020 alone, YouTube’s “creative ecosystem” contributed about $923 million CAD to the Canada’s GDP, a number equivalent to the creation of 34,100 jobs across the country.
These numbers are representative to the notion that Canadians have fully embraced the online creator economy, leveraging the YouTube platform to create further opportunities. “During what was a difficult year, the contributions of Canadian YouTube creators had a powerful and positive impact on the wider Canadian economy,” a Google spokesperson told IIC.
“The report confirms that YouTube continues to be a place where Canadians go to understand our world, tell their stories and connect with othe,” Google explains. “And the COVID-19 pandemic further emphasized the importance of the platform as a source of information for Canadians. The report shows that nearly three quarters (74%) of YouTube users agree that the platform has been helpful to them since the start of the pandemic. In addition to being a reliable source of information, 58% of users agree that YouTube has had a positive impact on their mental health or physical wellbeing. ”
More stats Google has compiled on how Canadian creators continue to thrive on the platform include:
- In 2020, YouTube’s creative ecosystem contributed approximately $923 million to Canada’s GDP
- As of December 2020, 450+ Canadian YouTube channels had more than 1 million subscribers
- In that same period, 3,500 channels in Canada had more than 100,000 subscribers
- The number of Canadian channels making six figures in revenue increased by 30% year-over-year
- 79% of Canadian creators agreed that access to an audience outside of Canada is essential for their channel to be sustainable
To view the full report and to discover more Canadian YouTube creators, check out the full 2021 YouTube Impact Report.