Telus Launches ‘Peace of Mind’ No Overage Plans Starting at $75/10GB and More
Telus has launched new Peace of Mind plans this morning, starting at $75 for 10GB of data with no overages for BYOD customers. The new plans were part of multiple announcements made this morning.
Here’s what was announced:
- Telus Peace of Mind plans: starting at $75/10GB with no overages, throttling at 512 kbps after original data exceeded.
- Telus Easy Payment: device financing offering $0 upfront on any smartphone on a 24 month contract with “transparent billing that clearly separates the device cost from the monthly rate plan fee.”
- Telus Family Discounts: 2 family members get $5/month each; 3 family members get $10/month each; 4 or more get $15/month each in savings (up to 9 lines)
“As part of our long-standing commitment to put our customers at the heart of everything we do, we are pleased to launch these new programs in concert to provide our customers with endless data on the device of their choice on the largest and fastest wireless network in the world,” said Darren Entwistle, President and CEO of TELUS, in an issued statement.
Peace of Mind plans include unlimited nationwide talk and text and as for throttled 512 kbps speeds after your data is exceeded, Telus says it was “tested and deliberately chosen to protect the consumer experience, while ensuring overall network reliability,” still allowing for browsing the web, email, social media and streaming music for example.
Peace of Mind plans are available at $75/10GB, $95/20GB and $125/50GB with non-shareable data.
If you want shareable data, new Simple Plans have debuted today at the same monthly price points, but have data overages of $10/100MB, or $100/1GB. Telus sends customers data usage notifications at milestones of 90% and 100% and $20 and $50 of overage. Data blocks are applied at $50 (but can be changed within Telus Data Manager).
Both Simple Plans and Peace of Mind plans are available for new and existing users and bring-your-own-device (BYOD) users.
With Telus Easy Payment, the company says it allows “for Canadians to finance any smartphone in our device lineup at no interest over 24 months for as little as $0 upfront.” You either pay $0 upfront and pay a higher monthly plan, or pay more upfront and less per month.
How Telus Easy Payment Will Work with an iPhone XR
Telus provided three examples of its new Easy Payment program below using an Apple iPhone XR with $1,060 MSRP. Taxes of $137.80 on the iPhone XR are paid upfront by customers in all three scenarios:
- Zero Upfront Easy Payment: $0 upfront + 24 monthly payments of $44.17/month
- Low Upfront Easy Payment: $130 upfront + 24 monthly payments of $38.75/month
- Low Monthly Easy Payment: $530 upfront + 24 monthly payments of $22.08/month
Telus says these Peace of Mind plans and Easy Payment financing offerings also are available for Telus Small Business customers.
Originally, Rogers debuted Infinite plans with no overages, speeds reduced after data buckets were used, to 256 kbps. Telus responded with their own matching promotional plans, similarly throttling speeds after data buckets were used, but to 512 kbps. Those promo plans expired on July 2, so the day after, we have new permanent plan offerings in response. You can bet Bell will debut similar plans and payment options as Rogers (still coming this summer) and Telus.