Looks like leaker Jon Prosser was correct this morning, as Apple has launched a new 27-inch iMac refresh, featuring improved performance, an improved Retina 5K display, better camera, speakers and mics.
The update according to Apple includes:
- faster Intel processors up to 10 cores
- double the memory capacity
- next-generation AMD graphics
- SSDs across the line with four times the storage capacity
- new nano-texture glass option for Retina 5K display (+$625)
- 1080p FaceTime HD camera
- higher fidelity speakers
- studio-quality mics.
“Now more than ever, our customers are relying on the Mac. And many of them need the most powerful and capable iMac we’ve ever made,” said Tom Boger, Apple’s senior director of Mac and iPad Product Marketing, in a statement.
“With blazing performance, double the memory, SSDs across the line with quadruple the storage, an even more stunning Retina 5K display, a better camera, higher fidelity speakers, and studio-quality mics, the 27-inch iMac is loaded with new features at the same price. It’s the ultimate desktop, to work, create, and communicate,” added Boger.
Apple says compared to the previous-generation iMac with 8-core processor, this new 27-inch iMac brings:
- Up to 65 percent more plug-ins in Logic Pro X.
- Up to 40 percent faster 8K ProRes transcode in Final Cut Pro X.
- Up to 35 percent faster rendering with Arnold in Autodesk Maya.
- Up to 25 percent faster build time in Xcode.
When it comes to graphics, the new iMac can deliver:
- Up to 55 percent faster rendering in Maxon Cinema 4D ProRender.
- Up to 50 percent faster demo fly-through in Unity Editor.
- Up to 45 percent faster performance in “Total War: Three Kingdoms.”
- Up to 30 percent faster timeline rendering in Final Cut Pro X.
For the first time, an 8TB SSD option is available, four times the capacity of the previous generation, while the company’s T2 security chip is also included.
Also new is a nano-texture glass option, first seen on Apple’s Pro Display XDR, bringing better viewing under a variety of different lighting conditions.
The starting pricing in Canada for a 27-inch iMac is $2,399 CAD, for a configuration with a 3.1GHz 6-Core Processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB S SD and Radeon Pro 5300. Apple is pushing a trade-in option on its website which says, “Get a refund of up to $2460 when you trade in an eligible computer, or recycle it for free.”
An 8-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor iMac starts at $3,079 CAD with 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD.
Updates for 21.5-inch iMac and Mac Pro
The 21.5-inch iMac now comes standard with SSDs for the first time across all offerings, plus the option to select a Fusion Drive, starting at $1,399 CAD.
The iMac Pro now comes standard with a 10-core Intel Xeon processor, starting at $6,299 CAD.
…more to follow, refresh for updates