The New iPad Media Event Round Up: What You Need to Know
So, pretty much all the rumours are true. The newest iPad was announced today, with many of the features we have all been hoping for. We’re following what Engadget has reported. Let’s go through the list of features:
- Retina display. 2048 x 1536, at 264ppi.
- A5X processor, with quad core graphics
- New camera: 5-megapixel backside illuminated sensor on the back, 5-element lens, IR filter, and ISP built into ?the A5X chip. Pretty much the same as the iPhone 4S. Has auto focus and 1080p video recording.
- Voice dictation. No Siri, but we will get the little mic next to the space bar. US English, British, Australian, French, German and Japanese languages are supported.
- 4G LTE! New iPad has 21Mbps HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA at 42Mbps, AND LTE at 73Mbps. Will be availble on Rogers, Telus, and Bell, here in Canada. The new iPad includes Personal Hotspot, as well.
- Battery life is the same as the iPad 2. 10 hours regular use, and 9 hours on 4G/LTE.
- 9.4mm thin, weighing 1.4lbs
- Prices are exactly the same as the iPad 2. $499, $599, and $699 for 16GB, 32GB, 64GB WIFI models. $629, $729, and $829 for the 4G LTE models.
- Available March16th in US, Canada, UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Japan. Pre-orders starting today!
Along with the new iPad announcement, also comes some new apps to take advantage of the new retina display. iWork for iPad gets an update, still $9.99 each. Big updates for iMovie and Garageband. iPhoto for iOS was announced. All $4.99 each. Free to update, if you already own them. iPhoto for iOS looks absolutely amazing on the iPad, and is available in the App Store today. We also learned that the iPad 2 will still continue to be sold, but just the 16GB model, and for $100 less.
Update: Here’s a quick overview of the new iPad in under 3 minutes, by Kris Meador (@meadorsmusings):