The folks over at August have just announced the launch of their all-new, native Apple Watch app, that allows users to control their August Smart Locks with their Apple Watches, without needing to have their iPhones nearby. “Embrace the freedom of heading out on a run, walking the dog or gardening in the front yard with just the watch on your wrist”, says the company following the app’s release.
Using the August Apple Watch app to lock or unlock your door is probably the fastest and easiest way to do it. From your watch screen you can view multiple locks or choose to control only your main lock. You can also add your August Smart Lock as a watch face shortcut (Apple Watch Complication) on your watch home screen. The app supports all generations of the August Smart Lock and all Apple Watch models as well.
In order to setup and activate the new August Apple Watch app, here’s what you need to do:
- Update your August App on your iPhone to version 6.7.10 or higher and make sure your watch is running WatchOS 4 or higher
- Launch the August Apple Watch app on your watch. You may be prompted to login on your iPhone to sync your lock(s) with your watch
- Give it a try!
The new Apple Watch lock/unlock feature is available to any user who is set up as a house Owner. You can promote a house “Guest” to an Owner:
- Open the Guest List in the August app
- Tap the Guest that you would like to promote to an Owner
- Update the Access Level to Owner and save the changes
Users who want to take advantage of the Auto-Unlock feature however will still need to have their iPhone nearby.