‘iPhone 12 Pro Max’ Leak Claims Thinner iPad Pro-Like Design and More [VIDEO]
The source of the leak? CAD drawings obtained by Weinbach, who said, “I managed to get (unfinished) iPhone 12 Pro Max CADs. These renders are based off those CADs!”
Weinbach’s source works with accessories and the latter usually receives a rough CAD of Apple’s upcoming iPhones and iPads, to better prepare for cases and more. This is usually the source of major leaks and this CAD design was also ‘confirmed’ by Jon Prosser, who recently leaked the launch details of the 2020 iPhone SE.
EverythingApplePro said the CAD design they have is “70% complete” and shows a new iPhone 12 Pro Max design with an apparently new notch design that is smaller (but the design itself is not finalized yet they’re told).
The dimensions of the iPhone 12 Pro Max CAD design are as follows, with comparisons to the current iPhone 11 Pro Max in parentheses:
- Thinner design: 7.39mm thick (vs 8.10mm on iPhone 11 Pro Max)
- Display is larger: 72.73mm display width (vs 68.81mm on iPhone 11 Pro Max)
- Thinner bezel: 1.55mm bezel (vs 2.52mm on iPhone 11 Pro Max)
- Slightly taller: 160.84mm in length (vs 157.95mm on iPhone 11 Pro Max)
- Slightly wider: 78.09mm in width (vs 77.84 on iPhone 11 Pro Max)
- Rear 3-camera layout is now a perfect square: bottom right is LiDAR (Apple is testing a version sitting on top right).
- Thicker camera bump: 1.26mm camera bump (vs 1.21mm on iPhone 11 Pro Max)
- Camera layout wider: 31.75mm wide (vs 26.87mm on iPhone 11 Pro Max)
EverythingApplePro says the notch has a new curvature and is smaller, similar to the notch on the One Plus 6 Android smartphone, but this notch has not been finalized.
As for the display, it sits flat like on the latest iPad Pro design, while the antenna bands are now wider at 1.83mm (vs 1.8mm on iPhone 11 Pro Max), most likely due to included 5G networking.
Other tidbits from the video:
- LiDAR sensor will most likely have an aesthetic ring for an even look to blend in with camera lenses
- Mute switch: likely not a vertical switch
- Power button: now sits slightly lower
- SIM card tray moved to other side of the phone; possibly due to internal logic board changes
- Smart Connector (where the old SIM card tray location is): 3.5mm wide
- Speaker design: one less speaker hole on right side speaker grille vs iPhone 11 Pro Max
- Speakers louder: 10-15% louder with better dynamic range
- Lightning port remains
- Colours: navy blue “is happening” with two versions being tested; will replace Midnight Green
- New iPhone 12 colours: light blue; shade of violet; light orange; two may be chosen by Apple
- CarKey: Apple apparently wants to bring it to more car companies—including Tesla (but Tesla is apparently not on board just yet)
The CAD drawing and dimensions are likely the same one MacOtakara reported on in January 2020, says EverythingApplePro.
After playing with a 3D-printed version of the apparent iPhone 12 Pro Max design, EverythingApplePro said it “feels futuristic”.
According to EverythingApplePro, a second video is coming soon to share more leaks.
What do you think of this reported leak of Apple’s rumoured ‘iPhone 12 Pro Max’?