After the “successful launch” of their Mobile Order & Pay feature in Greater Toronto last October, Starbucks announced today the feature will launch in Greater Vancouver on January 19, 2016. The announcement was made at a press event iPhone in Canada attended earlier this afternoon at the Royal Centre Starbucks, in downtown Vancouver.
The feature allows customers to order and pay for drinks and food within the Starbucks iOS app, to conveniently bypass waiting in lines at stores. All they need to do is go pick up their order from a participating location’s counter.
Starbucks tells us the feature will debut in 130 store locations in Vancouver, West Vancouver, Burnaby, Richmond, New Westminster, Gibsons and Sechelt. Vancouver will be the first Canadian city to have a simultaneous iOS and Android launch.
Jessica Mills, director brand and digital, Starbucks Canada, demonstrated the technology on hand, and said “The simple, convenience of Mobile Order & Pay means customers can bypass the line,” and also “represents a significant opportunity for us to enhance the customer experience and save our busy customers some time.”
How to use Starbucks Mobile Order & Pay?
1. Click on the “Order” option at the top right of the screen
2. Select the food and beverage items to order: Beverages are customizable, including the option to modify size, number of espresso shots, dairy selections and more
3. Select the participating store for pick up: Approximate wait times will be viewable on the customer’s phone prior to selecting store location. Directions will also be available, if needed
4. Confirm by clicking, “order:” At the time of order, payment is made from the customer’s registered Starbucks Card
5. Proceed to the participatingStarbucks® store to pick up food and beverages: Orders are sent to the selected store where Starbucks partners (baristas) will begin preparing the items.
Starbucks also shared some Canadian-specific data as part of today’s launch. Mobile in-store payments, according to Starbucks, now represent 18% of all store transactions in Canada, with My Starbucks Rewards members now topping 1 million Canadian members.
Also, Mobile Order & Pay will expand to the company’s Android app too, starting tomorrow. Expansion of this feature will happen across Canada this Spring.
Let us know how this works out for you! Vancouver Starbucks locations are usually pretty busy–this is going to come in pretty handy.