Tesla has officially released its highly anticipated version 9 software update, but CEO Elon Musk announced that they are pulling the ‘Navigate on Autopilot’ feature from this release.
The ‘Navigate on Autopilot’ feature will automatically take cars on the highway and take exits to get to a certain destination. This was arguably the most anticipated and important feature of this update, but Tesla owners will have to wait a few more weeks to get their hands on it.
Tesla owners will still be able to enjoy the new UI and additional features that are present within the release. Here are some of the new features that are included as a part of this release:
- Dash Cam: Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles built with Hardware 2.5 (introduced in August 2017) now allow you to record and store video captured from the forward-facing camera when your car is in use.
- New Apps & App Launcher: For Model S, Model X and Model 3, the new application launcher brings all your apps together in one place, including your Calendar, Energy, Web Browser, Rear-View Camera, Phone and Charging apps.
- Updated Climate Controls: You can now access controls for cold weather features in Model S and Model X, including rear seat heaters, steering wheel heater, and wiper heater all in one place.
- Full 360° View: All eight external cameras from our Full Self-Driving hardware in every Model S, Model X and Model 3 are active, enabling better situational awareness on the road with a 360-degree visualization of surrounding vehicles.
- Obstacle-Aware Acceleration: If an obstacle is detected in the path of your vehicle while driving at low speeds (i.e. while parking), full acceleration is reduced in order to help prevent drivers from accidentally accelerating. This feature can be enabled or disabled in Controls > Autopilot.
- Fun & Games: While Tesla cars are known to be fun to drive, they’re now even more fun while in ‘Park.’ Classic arcade games from Atari are now discoverable as hidden Easter Eggs. If you can find them, your car becomes a game console with controls on the touchscreen and steering wheel. Happy hunting!
Every single Model S, Model X, and Model 3 ever built will receive new features and improvements from Software Version 9.0. What do you think of Tesla’s new software update? Let us know in the comments below!