Tesla today announced its Q4 2020 earnings, while also unveiled its 2021 refresh for its Model S sedan and Model X SUV.
Q4 2020 Earnings Report
Tesla’s fourth quarter resulted in its sixth-consecutive profitable quarter, and first-ever annual profit, according to Tesla North. The company saw$10.74 billion in total revenue for the quarter and $270 million in net profit.
Elon Musk’s company saw its total annual production increase 71% year-over-year, while its annual deliveries were just shy of its 500,000 goal, hitting 499,647. With Gigafactories in Shanghai, Berlin and Austin well underway and expected to go online later this year, expect big things for Tesla in 2021.
2021 Model S and Model X Gain ‘Plaid’ Refresh
Tesla today also unveiled its new ‘Plaid’ refresh for its Model S and Model X, adding new interior and exterior features. Both gain a new steering wheel that’s inspired from its upcoming Roadster, while Plaid versions get 1,020 horsepower.
The Plaid+ Model S gains over 1,100 horsepower and offers the “quickest 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile acceleration of any production car ever,” says Tesla, capable of 0-60 mph in under 1.99 seconds. You also get carbon-sleeved rotors and torque vectoring.
Also new are three displays inside each Model S and Model X. The new centre display resembles that of the Model 3 and Model Y. There is also a rear display in the back to allow for gaming with Tesla Arcade, including support for wireless controllers.
Check out Canadian pricing for the new 2021 Model S and Model X refresh below…
- Long Range Dual Motor AWD (delivers in March): $114,990 CAD; 663km range; 0-100km/h in 3.2 sec
- Plaid Tri-Motor AWD (delivers in March): $159,990 CAD; 628km range; 0-100km/h in 2.1 sec
- Plaid+ Tri-Motor AWD (delivers in Late 2021): $189,990 CAD; 840+ km range; 0-100 km/h in less than 2.1 sec
- Dual Motor AWD Long Range (delivers in April): $124,990 CAD; 580km range; 0-100km/h in 3.9 sec
- Tri-Motor AWD Plaid (delivers in April): $159,990; 547km range; 0-100 km/h in 2.6 sec
As you can see, these updates aren’t exactly cheap. The Model S Long Range increases in price by $13,000 CAD compared to its recent October price update. The Model X Long Range increases in price by $12,000 CAD compared to its October price update, too.