The cat and mouse game continues again and again! The Dev Team has announced that the Pwnage Tool version 2.0.2 was going to be released yesterday. But they are delaying the release to include Installer 4!
That means you’ll be able to jailbreak your iPhone if you updated to 2.0.1 firmware via iTunes. However, an unlock for the firmware 2.0.1 is still a work in progress.
To summarize what this Pwnage Tool means…in simple terms…
- For first generation iPhone users…
- You have nothing to worry about. You can jailbreak, unlock, and manipulate your iPhone like a rag doll to your heart’s content. This is where the first gen is awesome for modding and hacking.
- For iPhone 3G users…
- You will be able to jailbreak your 2.0.1 updated firmware.
- NOTE: if you want to consider “unlocking” your iPhone 3G to use with another carrier, the Dev Team suggests that you DO NOT update to 2.0.1 via iTunes! It might hinder your chances for a future “unlock”.
- Pwnage is for Mac computers
- WinPwn is for PC’s and should be updated shortly to 2.0.2 once Pwnage is released.
A few notes from the Dev Team:
- As always PwnageTool 2.0.2 contains Cydia, in fact it contains a new version of Cydia with some bugfixes and other general goodness, thanks saurik!
- Installer 4 is going to be included in the final version, hence the delay
As for yours truly, the one and only iPhone Fan, I have not jailbroken my iPhone 3G. I’ve received a lot of emails from people asking about guides and why I haven’t done it yet. Well, to be honest I like my iPhone 3G the way it is at the moment and I see no benefit to jailbreaking. I like the ability to do one click updates via iTunes for firmware and not have to bother with the cat and mouse game anymore–I’ll save that for my first gen iPhone. I do admit I miss using other 3rd party apps. Maybe one day when I’m bored and have itchy fingers I’ll jailbreak. 🙂
For the first gen users out there, I have not forgotten about you. I will be updating my first gen to 2.0 shortly, and will have a full video guide of the process. If you recall, I did not update my 1.1.1 firmware to 1.1.4 until I knew it was safe to do so. Call me a freak, but I’d rather not deal with the headaches should anything go wrong with updating etc. It seems that everybody can have their own issues when it comes to jailbreaking and playing around with the iPhone.
A lot of you will be saying “you should jailbreak–it’s sooo easy!”. That’s fantastic and I’m happy for you! You deserve a medal. =) In all honesty, I will stick to my guns and jailbreak when I see the time is right. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right? 🙂
PS – Don’t forget to enter my PhantomSkinz Giveaway/Contest!!!
**Looking for an iPhone 3G case? Go get an invisibleSHIELD, the strongest protection for your iPhone backed by a 30 day moneyback guarantee, lifetime replacement warranty, and FREE shipping! Use coupon code iphoneinca for 15% off your purchase! Order today!**
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed, so you won’t miss any updates! You can also subscribe via email and have daily updates sent to your Inbox! Want more? Find out what I’m doing right now! Follow me on Twitter!