Share:

Samsung Will Brick Unreturned Galaxy Note 7 Devices Via Software Update

Share:

Just in case you have a Galaxy Note 7 hidden in your pocket or drawer, Samsung wants to be sure you won’t be able to use it – for your own protection, of course. Following the #explodegate that shortened the lifecycle of the Note 7, Samsung says it will issue a software update in the US that will brick the faulty handsets and make sure they are returned.

Galaxy note 7 1

According to CNET, participation in the US refund and exchange program for the smartphone was overwhelming, with a 93% success rate. The remaining 7% will be bricked with a software update Samsung plans to roll out over 30 days.

“Together with our carrier partners, we will be notifying consumers through multiple touchpoints to encourage any remaining Galaxy Note 7 owners to participate in the program and to take advantage of the financial incentives available,” the company said in a statement.

Earlier this fall, Samsung capped the battery’s recharge capacity at 60%, also via software update.

Those US-based users who are fond of their Note 7 are encouraged to take the big step and say farewell to their handset by powering it down and contacting their carrier to obtain a refund or exchange, or to visit the Note 7 recall website for more information.

Share:

  • FragilityG4

    They really want their junk back.

  • They don’t want lawsuits from rogue Samsung users who refuse to return the device.

  • FragilityG4

    If you refuse to return your officially recalled phone, you dismiss any possible lawsuit. This is more to avoid anymore bad press with phones exploding.

  • Tim

    In the end, it’s up to the carrier to push the update. In the US, Verizon has already said that they will not push the update to their Note 7 users.

  • awkpain

    A person who refuses a recall can themselves be sued for knowingly endangering others

Deals