How to Update iPhone Firmware 1.1.4 to 2.0.1 via WinPwn (VIDEO)!
*edit* Just to let everyone know, this tutorial has been outdated and needs updating. If you want to update your first gen iPhone to 2.x.x firmware, this is what you need to do:
1. Sync your iPhone. Update in iTunes to 2.2.1 firmware. You can use the latest version of iTunes.
3. Launch QuickPwn and follow the instructions.
4. Afterwards, your iPhone should be jailbroken and unlocked! I’m going to have an upcoming post on how to do this in more detail.
I remember the days of owning my first generation iPhone (my significant other uses it now). The jailbreaking/activating/unlocking game certainly was a lot of fun, but now that I have my iPhone 3G those days are over–or are they? My first gen iPhone is still on the stable 1.1.4 firmware. Since the release of 2.0 and 2.0.1 I’ve been itching to update my firmware. I know a lot of you first gen users are still on 1.1.4. I’ve also received emails asking for a guide on how to update–well your wish has now come true!
I finally took some time one night to get everything setup to prepare myself for this update. I followed the guide from iClarified carefully on how to update and jailbreak 2.0.1 using WinPwn 188.8.131.52. However, the guide forget to mention one critical step: clicking iPwner after the Custom IPSW has been created (this might not make a lot of sense now, but it will–trust me!). This resulted in me getting the “error 1600” message in iTunes. I definitely had a OMG moment but after a quick Google search, I found the solution. So please watch my video carefully on what to do.
How to Update iPhone Firmware 1.1.4 to 2.0.1 via WinPwn (Windows users only)
1. You will need to have iTunes 7.7.1 installed. You might also need the .NET Framework for Windows XP users.
2. Download the following files and put them into a folder on your desktop (name it winpwn):
Once you have these files, watch my video and it should explain the rest! I fast forwarded some of the unnecessary parts during the restore, but everything is there. The video is just under 10 minutes, although the entire process took me over an hour.
Let me know how this works out for you. After updating to 2.0.1 my first gen feels like it has “come back from the dead”…it’s alive again! Also, updating to 2.0.1 has opened my eyes again to how much we are missing out by not jailbreaking our iPhone 3G’s. Soo…expect a iPhone 3G jailbreak video coming soon in the near future!
– This should work for people on firmware 1.1.1/1.1.2/1.1.3
– Prior to jailbreaking I synced my first gen in iTunes–everything was backed up.
– After the update, I synced the phone and restored from the back up. Everything was back to normal. Contacts, settings, bookmarks, etc.
**Looking for an iPhone 3G case? Go get an invisibleSHIELD, the strongest protection for your iPhone backed by a 30 day moneyback guarantee, lifetime replacement warranty, and FREE shipping! Use coupon code iphoneinca for 15% off your purchase! Order today!**
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed, so you won’t miss any updates! You can also subscribe via email and have daily updates sent to your Inbox! Want more? Find out what I’m doing right now! Follow me on Twitter!