How to Unlock an iPhone 3G using yellowsn0w
Alright folks, here’s the tutorial some of you have been waiting for on how to unlock your iPhone 3G! This is relatively a painless process but I’ll try to make it as simple as possible. Earlier we mentioned how yellowsn0w will unlock firmware 2.2 and the latest 02.28.00 baseband!
How to Unlock your iPhone 3G using the iPhone Dev Team’s Unlock, yellowsn0w
If your iPhone 3G is already jailbroken, jump to step 3 (you already knew that):
1. Update your iPhone 3G to 2.2 firmware via iTunes (to ensure you’ll be on baseband 02.28.00).
2. Jailbreak using QuickPwn 2.2 (updated with 2.2 download links).
3. Launch Cydia –> click on Manage –> click on Sources –> click Edit –> click Add –> enter the following Cydia repository URL found here –> Click on Return to Cydia.
4. Click on Search. Type in “yellowsn0w”. Install yellowsn0w (it should be version 0.9.1, it was updated fairly quickly). Let it finish installing, exit Cydia.
5. Reboot your iPhone with foreign SIM installed…10 seconds later after reboot you should get a signal. If you don’t, try taking the SIM tray out then reinserting again.
6. That’s it! Your iPhone 3G is unlocked!
I installed yellowsn0w was able to pop in my du SIM card I was using in Dubai on my iPhone 2G. At first I quickly saw the “SIM Failure” message pop up then disappear quickly. The du SIM was able to pick up a signal! Success!
If you had success or some problems, let us know, but more important, let the Dev Team know by posting comments on their blog here. It’s imperative for them to get feedback in order to improve yellowsn0w to work for all carriers from around the world!
Big props to the entire iPhone Dev Team for their hard work. The entire globe is thanking them right about now!
**Looking for an iPhone 3G case? Go get an invisibleSHIELD, the strongest protection for your iPhone backed by a 30 day moneyback guarantee, lifetime replacement warranty, and FREE shipping! Use coupon code iphoneinca for 20% off your purchase! Order today!**
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed, so you won’t miss any updates! You can also subscribe via email and have daily updates sent to your Inbox! Want more? Find out what I’m doing right now! Follow me on Twitter!