App Updates: Twitter, Skyfire, Simplenote
Some notable updates in the App Store today to twitter, Skyfire, and Simplenote.
Twitter for iPhone got a new addition called the Quick Bar that shows trends and adds autocomplete for usernames and hashtags.
What’s New In Version 3.3
– Quick Bar, shows trends and other important things without leaving your timeline! Swipe the Quick Bar left/right to cycle through trends
– Trends based on your location
– Cleaner, redesigned Tweet compose screen.
– Automatically shortens URLs. Just paste them in and they will only count as 20 characters, no matter how long they are!
– Autocomplete @usernames and hashtags
– Easier photo uploading
– Find friends using your phone’s contacts
– Improved DM conversation view, now works similar to SMS/Chat
– Cleaned up preferences
– Bug fixes
Skyfire, the browser that allows viewing of Flash-based websites received some improvements such as more video from Flash sites. For example, watch.ctv.ca is now watchable within Skyfire (thanks @snowy2004!).
What’s New In Version 3.0.0
â€¢ More Video â€“ We enhanced our capabilities to give you more Flash video from more sites. Flash videos will get mobile optimized for your device and network and gives you smooth video playback that saves you lots of bandwidth and money.
â€¢ Popular Content â€“ Our favorite new feature; instantly see what content on any given site is most popular with your friends and within the Facebook community. Recommendations from friends are prioritized and show up at the top of the list.
â€¢ FireplaceTM Feed Reader â€“ A simple but addictive tool that provides a filtered list of your Facebook feed that only includes links to web pages, images, and videos posted by your Facebook friends. A great place to start for browsing.
â€¢ Facebook Portal Integration â€“ With a single touch you have access to your Facebook feed, profile and fast-growing location service Places. No need to switch between apps.
â€¢ Facebook Like Button â€“ Skyfire 3.0 puts the Facebook Like Button on EVERY PAGE of the Internet. No scrolling around searching for the button on the page, simply click on the SkyBarTM Like Button to easily â€œlikeâ€ or â€œunlikeâ€ the page you are viewing.
â€¢ Skyfire OneTouch SearchTM â€“ Enter a single search term and choose between Google, Video (from VideoSurf), or Wikipedia with a single touch without the need to navigate to separate sites.
Simplenote, one of my favourite note-taking apps received a minor update.
What’s New In Version 3.1.2
– fixed orientation lock no longer working
– fixed sharing icon not disappearing after unsharing a note
– fixed settings sometimes triggering the wrong settings when tapped
– improved user experience for publishing a note
The UI of twitter still looks the best, but I still use SimplyTweet for my twitter needs. That new Quick Bar has pissed a lot of people off. I can’t remember the last time I used Skyfire, but Simplenote still remains one of my favourite apps of all time.
Any notable app updates you’ve been happy to see this week?