Jailbreak iOS 5.1 With New Redsn0w 0.9.10b6 [How To]
Yesterday, Apple released iOS 5.1 for all supported iOS devices and as always, Dev Team folks have been quick enough to push an update to their popular jailbreak tool as well i.e Redsn0w 0.9.10b6. The latest Redsn0w brings iOS 5.1 jailbreak support for iPhone 3GS / iPhone 4, iPod touch 3G / iPod touch 4G and the original iPad. A5 devices i.e iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are currently not supported. For now, this is a tethered jailbreak meaning each re-start requires the jailbroken device to be plugged into a computer to allow booting into jailbroken state.
Here are the release notes:
- This is a *tethered* 5.1 jailbreak for non-A5 devices. You’ll need to use Redsn0w to “Just Boot” your device every time it power cycles, otherwise jailbreak apps won’t work (neither will Safari).
- If you use ultrasn0w for your carrier unlock, be sure to use a custom IPSW to get to 5.1 first! Don’t ever restore to a stock Apple IPSW! Use redsn0w’s “Custom IPSW” button to create a NO_BB_* version of the 5.1 IPSW and restore to that instead of the stock one. (That option is available only to 3GS and iPhone4-GSM owners.) ultrasn0w itself will be updated for 5.1 in the next few days (same baseband support, not 5.1’s baseband).
- If you’re lucky enough to have an old-bootrom 3GS, this jailbreak is actually untethered (redsn0w will figure that part out automatically).
- While we were at it, we added @pod2g’s steaks4uce exploit to support MC models of the iPod touch 2G (whose last firmware was 4.2.1). So now redsn0w will auto-detect and jailbreak both MB and MC versions of that older device.
- iBooks won’t work until a future update of Redsn0w
Once you read the above warnings and decide to proceed with an iOS 5.1 jailbreak, simply follow these steps:
** Don’t forget to backup up your iOS device before proceeding.
Install latest iTunes 10.6 on your Mac or PC.
Update your iOS device to iOS 5.1. You will find direct download links here.
Download the latest version of Redsn0w from the following official links:
Now start the latest Redsn0w, select Jailbreak and install Cydia. Then click on “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to put your device into DFU mode.
Once the device is in DFU mode, the automated jailbreak process will begin. Once completed, your device will be tethered jailbroken on iOS 5.1.
On every restart or re-boot, your iOS device will require you to perform a “tethered boot”. To do that, follow these steps:
- Launch Redsn0w.
- Click on “Extras“.
- Select “Just Boot” from the options and click “Next“.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to boot tethered.
That’s it, enjoy!