Alberta Bans Smartphone Use in Classrooms

The government of Alberta has decided to ban the use of smartphones and other personal electronics across the province’s classrooms to remove distractions and improve student mental health — reports CTV News. Students will no longer be permitted to use their smartphones during class starting in the 2024-2025 academic year, which begins in September.

“The use of cellphones is of significant concern and additional measures should be taken to limit cellphone use in our classrooms,” said Demetrios Nicolaides, Alberta’s Minister of Education, during a conference in Calgary on Monday.

“Students will no longer be permitted to use personal mobile devices during class time and I am further announcing that access to social media sites in schools will be restricted.”

The news comes less than two months after the Ontario government announced a similar ban. Alberta’s new rules will restrict the use of everything from cellphones, smartphones, and smartwatches to headphones and other personal electronic devices.

Government officials said that smartphones and other personal devices serve to distract students from educational achievement and also negatively impact their mental health. Earlier this year, four Ontario school boards sued Meta, Snapchat, and TikTok for “disrupting student learning.”

According to Nicolaides, students will still be able to use their devices for medical or health reasons, special learning needs, and if directed to do so by a teacher or principal. The province is leaving enforcement of the new rules up to school boards, which can adjust them on a case-by-case basis. Boards must, however, inform parents if their children are found violating the rules.

“These rules represent minimum standards and a board has the autonomy and flexibility to implement additional restrictions if they so choose,” said the Education Minister. “During class time all devices must be turned off and stored out of sight.”

In addition, students will still be allowed to use personal devices for educational or other purposes “as determined by a principal or equivalent.”

Officials explained that the government settled on these changes after consulting with parents, teachers, education partners, and students. Per Nicolaides, approximately 68,000 responses were collected during a survey on the matter, with 90% of respondents expressing concern over the proliferation of smartphones and other devices in classrooms.

Alberta’s new rules have already garnered support from the Calgary Board of Education, which said the following in a statement:

“The Calgary Board of Education supports the government’s intention of creating quality learning environments that support the health, wellbeing and academic achievement of students. We will be taking time to review today’s provincial policy announcement and what it will mean for CBE schools next year.”

The smartphone ban will apply to classrooms across all Alberta public, separate, francophone, public charter, and independent school authorities.

Want to see more of our stories on Google?

Add iPhone in Canada as a Preferred Source on Google

P.S. Want to keep this site truly independent? Support us by buying us a beer, treating us to a coffee, or shopping through Amazon here. Links in this post are affiliate links, so we earn a tiny commission at no charge to you. Thanks for supporting independent Canadian media!

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
2 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
G____
G____
1 year ago

Let's hope they are blocking VPN access, which is how students often get around social media restrictions.

Linda Vich
Linda Vich
1 year ago

What about the teachers?

2
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x