Ottawa Freezes Tesla’s EV Rebates After Record Demand Surge
The federal government has frozen $43 million in rebate payments to Tesla and banned the company from future electric vehicle incentive programs, following a last-minute surge in claims that drained most of the funding from Canada’s iZEV program.
Former transport minister Chrystia Freeland confirmed Tuesday that she ordered a stop-payment on all Tesla claims before the election was called, citing the need for a full investigation.
“As soon as I became Transport Minister, I asked the department to stop all payments for Tesla vehicles in order to fully examine each claim individually and determine whether all are eligible and valid. No payments will be made until we are confident that the claims are valid,” said Freeland in a statement sent by text message to The Star.
“I also directed my department to change the eligibility criteria for future iZEV programs to ensure that Tesla vehicles will not be eligible for incentive programs so long as the illegitimate and illegal U.S. tariffs are imposed against Canada.”
Tesla filed 8,653 rebate claims over a 72-hour span in January, shortly after Transport Canada told dealers they had “a few weeks” left before the iZEV program would end. That burst of filings—equivalent to two vehicle sales per minute—consumed 60 per cent of remaining funds and left more than 200 independent Canadian dealers unable to claim roughly $10 million in rebates they had already passed on to customers.
The high number of claims likely reflects Tesla’s direct-to-consumer sales model and streamlined internal systems. Unlike traditional automakers with its hundreds of dealerships, Tesla handles sales and deliveries in-house, which may have allowed it to quickly process claims in bulk after Transport Canada warned the iZEV program was ending.
The government also quietly updated the rebate program’s iZEV website, softening a rule that had previously required claims to be submitted before delivery. After media coverage by The Star, the site reverted to its original wording.
Tesla, the biggest single recipient of Canadian EV rebates since 2019, has collected $713 million in subsidies due to the popularity of its cars and ability to keep up production better than other automakers. But criticism has grown amid CEO Elon Musk’s alignment with U.S. President Donald Trump and his administration’s cuts to wasteful government spending. Protests and vandalism targeting Tesla vehicles have been reported on both sides of the border.
Freeland said Tesla will remain excluded from future EV rebate programs “so long as the illegitimate and illegal U.S. tariffs are imposed against Canada.”
Dealerships often apply the $5,000 EV rebate upfront to make the vehicle more affordable for buyers, covering the cost themselves with the expectation of being reimbursed later through the federal iZEV program. It’s a common practice meant to simplify the purchase process for customers.
But in the final days of the program, some dealers gave out rebates without realizing funds were running out. When Tesla submitted thousands of claims in a short span, most of the remaining money was used up, leaving other dealers unable to recover the rebates they’d already passed on to customers.
Want to see more of our stories on Google?
P.S. Want to keep this site truly independent? Support us by buying us a beer, treating us to a coffee, or shopping through Amazon here. Links in this post are affiliate links, so we earn a tiny commission at no charge to you. Thanks for supporting independent Canadian media!

I have always voted liberal and donated to the LPC. Now, the leadership is viciously, mindlessly and unfairly attacking Tesla, the company that is moving the needle more than any other, to accelerate the world towards sustainable transportation, road safety, and clean energy. I can't forgive this. In the upcoming elections, I'm definitely not going to vote liberal.
Would you care to explain in what way those attacks by leadership are vicious and what specifically is unfair about them, in your opinion?
Talk about having blinders on. lol
It’s a mind virus. Curable only by death.
Article: govt is validating the claims to make sure they aren’t false
You: what a vicious and mindless attack!!
get out of your bubble, drone!
He might be referring to this statement; Freeland said Tesla will remain excluded from future EV rebate programs “so long as the illegitimate and illegal U.S. tariffs are imposed against Canada.”
Why just Tesla? Why not Ford, GM, Chrysler? The President imposed the tariffs not Tesla or one of its shareholders (Musk).
Also, remember that it is Tesla that built the majority of the supercharge charging stations as well as allowed for other manufacturers to adopt its (NAC) to save them waiting for charging stations to be built.
I don't see the same amount of anger from people knowing Carney advised Trudeau for the past 5 Years while our immigration exploded to unsustainable numbers causing huge stress on our housing, hospitalization and infrastructure all while of GDP per capital went into free fall… worst of the G7 and close to the bottom of the G20… but they don't want you to see the disaster of their policies because they have a opportunity to blame everything on Trump and Canadians buy it, but hey, "Elbows Up"…
“Why not Ford, GM, Chrysler?” Because they didn’t want to harm Canadian jobs and all those autoworkers working for Ford, GM and Chrysler in their Canadian plants. And because they didn’t have to because Trump just imposed 25% tariffs on all cars not produced in US affecting everything coming from those Canadian plants.
You confuse advice with making decisions. Giving someone advice doesn’t mean that person followed it.
“Tesla filed 8,653 rebate claims over a 72-hour span…”
Regardless of how you feel about Tesla or tariffs this one line is more than enough reason to take action. We are talking about 43 million dollars in tax payer dollars. Image what people would say if the Government decided not to do an audit.
Excluding Tesla from all future EV rebate programs until illegal U.S. tariffs are removed makes complete sense. Remember, this is just one of many responses to an unprovoked attack. These responses need to be targeted so that Republican supported industries and government are impacted the most. It makes no sense to hit Democratic resources.
This action is not an attack on the environment, it is a regrettable response to a foreign government that as rolled back environmental protections in all areas. Let us not forget who declared “drill baby drill”.
So many wasted donations….pity.
My guess is they're all valid, and Tesla just pushed them through given the news…