MobileSyrup reports Telus iPhone users will be able to unlock their devices starting tomorrow (June 1st) for $50. An internal memo reveals the criteria for Telus iPhone users to unlock their phones:
- The iPhone must operate on the TELUS’ HSPA network.
- Client must have an iPhone registered for a postpaid account with TELUS for at least 90 days.
- The customer’s account must be current and in good standing.
- The last three consecutive bills must have been paid in full.
- Available for Consumer, Business, and Corporate accounts
Last year Telus introduced an unlocking policy for their handsets but it excluded the iPhone (whereas Rogers has long offered iPhone unlocking). Many Telus users have long opted for factory unlocked iPhones from Apple to bypass this delay.
Apple’s support page still notes Rogers and Fido as the only authorized carriers to unlock iPhones–expect this to change soon. I know of many Telus iPhone users that will be very happy to hear about this new unlock policy.
What do you think about paying $50 to have carriers unlock your iPhone?