If you’ve been waiting for the release of PwnageTool 3.1, you’re in luck. The iPhone Dev Team released the updated version of PwnageTool this afternoon. PwnageTool allows you to create a custom firmware to restore your iPhone with, thus enabling you to keep older basebands (so your iPhone remains unlocked if you need it to be).
PwnageTool 3.1 Download Supports iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch
Some notes on PwnageTool 3.1:
1. GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with ultrasn0w and rely on ultrasn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should only upgrade to 3.1 with a PwnageTool created .ipsw. – Stay away from Appleâ€™s direct updates as described here and here please get up to speed on the whole subject by reading the information contained in these posts.
2. If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.1 unlock works with this PwnageTool release. iPhone 3G users upgrading to 3.1 will need to continue using ultrasn0w with a PwnageTool created 3.1 .ipsw
3. Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
4. Read items 1, 2 and 3 again and again.
5. At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the 3.1 capable version of PwnageTool.
6. This app is suitable for the recent 3.1 release.
7. This version of PwnageTool will NOT work for the iPhone 3GS.
8. PwnageTool WILL work for Original iPhone (1st Generation), Original iPod touch (1st Generation) and the iPhone 3G.
In Other Words, PwnageTool 3.1 only works for the following devices:
– iPhone 2G
– iPhone 3G
– iPod Touch (first gen)
PwnageTool is currently for OS X only and DOES NOT support the iPhone 3GS. A later release is scheduled for iPhone 3GS owners. Until then, be patient for the release! Click here to download it via Bittorrent.
If you are a really patient person, you could wait a day or two for bugs to be fixed, because usually people run into some issues with these initial releases. Let us know if PwnageTool 3.1 works for your 2G, 3G or iPod Touch!