The Dev-Team has today pushed a major update to its iOS jailbreak tool RedSn0w, taking it to version 0.9.15b1 that introduces a bunch of new features including the option to restore to older firmwares (including iOS 5.x) which are no longer being signed by Apple. Other new options include untethered 6.0 jailbreak & hactivation on old-bootrom 3GS, hactivation on any iPhone 4, direct restore for pre-A5 devices to earlier firmware and much more.
Below is a list of new features as detailed by Dev-Team on their official blog:
- restore from any 5.x iOS to any other (up, down or the same) 5.x iOS on all devices as long as you have the correct blobs (see more below)
- Cydia now included in the tethered 6.0 jailbreak on A4 devices
- automatically “Just Boot” tethered when qualifying A4 device connects in DFU mode
- untethered 6.0 jailbreak on old-bootrom 3GS
- untethered 6.0 hactivation on any 3GS or iPhone4
- directly restore pre-A5 devices to earlier firmware — no more complicated 15-step how-to’s with stitching, iTunes errors, and “hosts file” concerns
- fetch new signed blobs for any IPSW (present or future — no redsn0w update required) using Extras->SHSH Blobs->New
- block the BB update for any 3GS or iPhone4 restore (past, present, or future — no redsn0w update required) using Extras->Even More->Restore
- deactivate any iPhone, useful for testing your “official” unlock status through iTunes. (Please only deactivate your own iPhone!)
- activation status shown on “Even more” page
- significantly more (very nerdy) info returned by “Identify” button when device is in Normal mode
- tethered jailbreak of ATV2 supported (but the only thing available for it is the SSH2 custom bundle availablehere — no Cydia yet. Must use “Select IPSW” for tethered boot of ATV2 for now).
- auto-exit WTF mode for older devices with broken buttons
- any time a set of blobs is fetched remotely (from Apple or Cydia), redsn0w also saves them locally (and will check there first if you click “Local”)
- for your future restoring convenience, you should also submit all of your past and present TinyUmbrella blobs to Cydia if you haven’t done so yet. Resubmitting is okay and won’t cause conflicts.
Here are more details on the iOS 5-to-iOS 5 restores for A5+ devices (Note: pre-A5 devices don’t have these restrictions):
- RedSn0w now lets you restore an A5+ device from any iOS5 to any other iOS5 as long as you have correct 5.x blobs for the starting (current) and ending points of the restore
- You DO NOT QUALIFY for iOS 5-to-iOS 5 restores if you got to your current 5.x via an OTA update
- Unlike the A4 devices, redsn0w can’t (usefully) prevent the baseband updates of A5+ iPhones and iPads.
- iPad2 owners (all three models) with saved 4.x blobs can use those instead, even from 6.x
- Ultrasn0w isn’t yet updated for 6.x
- As always, redsn0w lets you “Fetch” the SHSH blobs currently flashed onto your pre-A5 device
If you’re in the Melbourne, Australia area, MuscleNerd (and another anonymous long-time Dev Team member) will be giving some talks at the Breakpoint conference http://www.ruxconbreakpoint.com this week.
Here are the official download links:
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 (OS X — use Ctrl-Click->Open if on Mountain Lion for now)
- Download Redsn0w 0.9.15b1 (Windows — run in Adminstrator Mode)