Apple TV+ original comedy series, Ted Lasso, continues to rack up the awards. On Sunday, Apple announced Ted Lasso won twice at the 2021 Writers Guild of America Awards.
The comedy series won Best New Series and Best Comedy Series. Ted Lasso writers Jane Becker, Leann Bowen, Brett Goldstein, Brendan Hunt, Joe Kelly, Bill Lawrence, Jamie Lee, Jason Sudeikis, Phoebe Walsh and Bill Wrubel received the award, noted Apple in a press release.
Ted Lasso also won Best Comedy Series, recognizing writers Becker, Bowen, Goldstein, Hunt, Kelly, Lawrence, Lee, Sudeikis, Walsh and Wrubel.
So far, Ted Lasso has won or has been nominated for the following awards:
- Only comedy series honoured as an AFI Program of the Year
- Golden Globe Award for Jason Sudeikis in the Best Comedy Actor category
- 3 x Critics Choice Award wins: Best Comedy Series, Best Actor in a Comedy Series for Sudeikis; Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for Hannah Waddingham;
- Nominations from the Producers Guild of America for Comedy Series
- 2 x nominations from the Screen Actors Guild: Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series and Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
Apple says including Sunday’s wins at the Writers Guild of America Awards, Apple TV+ has now won 86 awards and received 329 nominations and accolades, since launching worldwide over a year ago.
The second season of Ted Lasso is expected to hit Apple TV+ in the summer of 2021.