Following a period of extended closure in response to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak in China, Foxconn is aiming to resume 50 percent of its production by the end of February.
According to a new report from Reuters, the world’s largest contract electronics maker also aims to resume 80 percent of production in China in March, added the source, who has direct knowledge of the matter, citing internal targets set by Chairman Liu Young-Way.
Foxconn’s reopenings after the Lunar New Year holiday were delayed by the rapid spread of the virus in China, which has killed more than 1,100 people, as the World Health Organization warned against a global threat potentially worse than terrorism.
“Chairman Liu hopes by end of February the production could reach 50 percent,” said the person, who declined to be identified in the absence of authorization to speak publicly.
“Shipments will be affected, but it’s too early to give an exact number,” the source continued. “We might still have a chance to make it with overtime, but we also need to monitor consumer sentiment to come for the end products.”
Reports previously had suggested that Foxconn had been told not to reopen its factories by Chinese authorities and staff were told not to return to work due to fears over the coronavirus outbreak.
Apple has also extended the shutdown of its own retail stores in China. Stores were supposed to open on Monday, but Apple has decided to wait until February 15.