Earlier this week, Tesla won its court case against the Ontario government over the elimination of electric vehicle rebates and today, Premier Doug Ford has announced that all buyers of electric cars costing less than $75,000 will qualify for rebates as long as their vehicles are delivered and registered by Sept. 10 (via The Star).
Transportation Minister John Yakabuski said in a statement that the ministry will abide by the court’s decision and that he has already directed the ministry to expand the wind-down process for the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program.
“Incentives will be provided as long as the following conditions are met: eligible vehicles were delivered, registered, and plated on or before July 11 or … were on dealer lots in Ontario — or on order by dealers or by customers directly from manufacturers on or before July 11, and delivered to customers, registered and plated on or before Sept. 10,” he said.
The change announced today affects nearly 600 new Tesla owners, including Toronto elementary school teacher Kurtis Evans, who is expecting to take delivery of his Model 3 within days. “I am extremely relieved. I was very nervous that the government was going to pull a fast one. Technically they could have ended the program literally today”, he said.
Evans, who is replacing his 2014 Honda Civic, said the $14,000 subsidy was make-or-break on his purchase of the $74,000 car.