Share:

Tesla Wins Lawsuit vs Ontario Over Cancelled Electric Vehicle Rebates

Share:

Tesla has won its court case against the Ontario government over the elimination of electric vehicle rebates.

“We’re pleased with the Court’s decision to strike down the [Ontario government’s] transition plan as unfair and unlawful,” a Tesla spokesperson told CBC News on Monday evening.

The Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP), launched by the previous Liberal government, was axed when the new Progressive Conservative Party and Premier Doug Ford took over provincial reins. The program offered rebates of up to $14,000 for electric vehicle buyers on select cars.

When EHVIP was cancelled on July 11, the Ontario government said existing cars already sold and registered by September 10 (a 60 day transition period), would still see their rebate.

Later, the government clarified only franchised dealerships in Ontario would be eligible for the transition rebate program, thusly excluding Tesla and their dealerships in the province, which are not franchised.

This resulted in Tesla launching its lawsuit against the Ontario government earlier this month, which the latter tried to get tossed.

Ontario Superior Court judge Frederick L. Myers, in his decision, said the Ontario government singled out Tesla for harm without “any fair process whatsoever”, while their decision to exclude the company from the EHVIP wind-down period was arbitrary (via The Canadian Press).

Some Tesla buyers, such as Calvin Kimora, told CBC News it was a “big shock” to suddenly find out his electric vehicle rebate was gone.

“I felt really left out, especially because I knew every other manufacturer was allowed to give the rebate to their customers,” said Kimora. “I felt like I was being targeted.”

The Ontario government has said it is reviewing Judge Myers’ decision.

Share: