Today, Pioneer has expanded their Apple CarPlay compatible lineup with AppRadio 4, which offers a minimalistic interface for quick access.
The AppRadio 4 is compatible with the iPhone 4 and later, Android smartphones, and any device that has MirrorLink technology. The new in-car device will work with Apple’s Siri Eyes Free technology that allows drivers to control certain features of their iPhone using their voice. This eliminates the need for drivers to take their eyes off the road when performing simple tasks.
AppRadio 4 offers simple physical buttons on the left side of the screen for quick access by drivers, however the majority of the functions are controlled by its 6.2-inch WVGA capacitive touchscreen.
The device inherits the capabilities of Pioneer’s NEX receiver models with three sets of high volt (4V) pre-outs, 13-band graphic equalizer, auto EQ, auto time alignment, dual rear USB, and HDMI input, AM/FM tuner with RDS text information display (when available), and MOSFET 50 Watts X 4 power.
Director of Marketing for Pioneer Electronics of Canada Andrew Murphy said:
“The new AppRadio 4 embodies our idea of the connected car, providing the majority of smartphone owners the ability to utilize their devices in the car for calling, streaming music, and even controlling supported apps to enhance their driving experience.”
Here is a full list of features included in Pioneer’s AppRadio 4:
– CarPlay Ready – With CarPlay, consumers with iPhone 5 or later, including iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, and the latest version of iOS can use Siri voice control to make and receive calls, compose and respond to text messages, use Apple Maps for navigation and listen to their music libraries, podcasts and iTunes Radio. For more info about CarPlay visit www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
– Siri Eyes Free – Users of iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5 and iPhone devices can take advantage of Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the AppRadio 4 touchscreen. When activated, Siri provides voice prompts through the vehicle’s speakers, and the user’s questions and commands are received and transmitted using the external microphone provided with the AppRadio 4 unit.
– Bluetooth – To maximize the connectivity options available in today’s most popular smartphones, AppRadio 4 offers both Bluetooth hands-free calling1 and Bluetooth audio streaming and wireless control of compatible devices. It includes Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) for wireless audio streaming and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) version 1.4 for wireless control of devices and related metadata (if available) to be viewed directly on the Pioneer touchscreen display.
– Enhanced Touchscreen User Interface – Designed with the smartphone user in mind, the AppRadio 4 touchscreen user interface (UI) provides easy access to the most commonly used features such as apps, music and calling.
– Built-in MirrorLink – MirrorLink technology enables consumers to connect compatible smartphones to AppRadio 4 (or other compatible in-dash receiver) via a USB cable to access certain music and map applications for a more convenient and safer in-car experience. Similar to AppRadio Mode, MirrorLink is integrated into AppRadio 4 and offers a vehicle-specific interface and connectivity with MirrorLink certified devices from smartphone manufacturers such as Samsung, Nokia and others.
Apple’s CarPlay allows iPhone users to control various aspects of their phone, including calls, messages, and maps, directly from the car’s in-dash displays or using Siri-based voice inputs.
The Pioneer AppRadio 4 is currently available at Canadian retail at a suggested retail price of $599 (this may vary depending on the retailer).