GMC Hummer EV Unveiled, Tries to Take on Tesla Cybertruck
GMC has just unveiled its 2022 Hummer Electric Vehicle (EV) to take on Tesla’s Cybertruck, which will have a massive 1,000 horsepower and an estimated 11,500 lb.-ft of torque when it launches in the fall of 2021 in the USA and 2022 in Canada (via Tesla North).
According to GMC, the Hummer EV will sport three separate motors and two Ultium drive units for electric all-wheel drive. “This innovative truck comes to market with speed and purpose, bringing GM another step closer to an all-electric future,” said Mark Reuss, president of General Motors, in a press release.
“With our Ultium Drive architecture as the foundation for an exceptionally broad range of performance, HUMMER EV is perfect for the customer who wants capability, efficiency and performance,” noted Reuss.
Here’s what will be offered in GMC’s fully-loaded 2022 Hummer EV Edition 1–which saw reservations sell out in 10 minutes (but no disclosure of numbers), according to the company (via Business Insider):
- Three-motor e4WD drive system that will offer the equivalent of GM-estimated 1,000 horsepower and GM-estimated 11,500 lb.-ft. of torque
- 800-volt DC public fast charging compatibility of up to 350 kW. Industry-first technology mechanically switches the batteries from parallel to series mode during charging, which makes HUMMER EV compatible with the fastest 350 kW public DC fast chargers, enabling nearly 160 km of range in 10 minutes of charging.
- 24-module, double-stacked Ultium battery propulsion system that will offer excellent range and power to three motors.
- GM-estimated 560+ km of driving range on a full charge, based on preliminary testing.
- The latest version of Super Cruise, a driver assistance feature offering hands-free driving with automatic lane changing on divided and compatible roads.
The base model of the 2022 Hummer EV will be priced at $79,995 in the U.S., whereas the top-end Edition 1 will start at $112,595. That’s significantly more expensive than the single motor Tesla Cybertruck which starts at $39,990 USD.
Canadian production of the 2022 GMC Hummer EV will begin in the fall of 2022 and will be sold through the GMC Canada Dealer network.