PwnageTool 4.01 Download Now Available! (Updated)
Update 1: PwnageTool updated to v4.01. This fixes an issue with iBooks 1.1. You will need to restore with another custom firmware.
The iPhone Dev Team does it again. In less than 24 hours after the release of iOS 4.0 by Apple, PwnageTool 4.0 has been released to jailbreak the latest iOS.
Here’s the latest news from their PwnageTool 4.01 Release–Read this carefully:
PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST CAREFULLY, THERE ARE KNOWN UPGRADE TRAPS AND DIFFERENT UPGRADE SCENARIOS THAT NEED TO BE FULLY UNDERSTOOD AND CONSIDERED BEFORE USING THESE TOOLS.
Each supported device has few different scenarios that users need to consider when performing the upgrades, you need to check below and perform the upgrade in the particular way that matches your current device state.
NB: With PwnageTool 4.01 certain devices are not supported this is because they are not supported in iOS 4.0 or they are not supported by our software.
- iPhone 2G – not supported
- iPod Touch – not supported
- iPod Touch 3G – not supported
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3G at 3.1.2 (but not jailbroken with Spirit) then you should create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore from recovery mode or DFU mode.
- If you have an out of the box iPhone 3G you should restore using a PwnageTool 4.0 ipsw using DFU mode.
- If you have a Jailbroken 3.1.3 iPhone 3G it is very possible that this can fail from recovery mode, if this failure happens you will need to restore using DFU mode.
IMPORTANT! Whenever you need to enter DFU mode, you will need to do so using PwnageTool.
Summary: PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.
- If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.01 and restore with recovery mode.
- If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.01
iPod touch 2G
- If you have an iPod touch 2G that is jailbroken (but not with Spirit) then you can restore using recovery mode.
- iPhone 3G and 3GS baseband unlockers (those who rely on ultrasn0w to make phone calls) should always be very wary to update their firmware, however our Ultrasn0w application will unlock all recent (including the current) 3GS and 3G baseband firmware versions, once you are jailbroken using PwnageTool 4.0, install ultrasn0w from Cydia and youâ€™ll be unlocked.
- Remember! This baseband unlock situation is rare, should you upgrade your iPhone blindly at the next iOS release please donâ€™t expect an unlock – but for now you are OK (whatever state your baseband is in).
Please feel free to ask any questions in the comment section below. Weâ€™ve got a bunch of expert help there, including our friendly moderators confucious and angie!
Official Bittorrent Releases
PwnageTool 4.01 Torrent – PwnageTool_4.01.dmg.5645662.TPB.torrent
SHA1 Sum = a7e83163b4868256ac887975d7d2fd230110cf68
SHA1 Sum = 15bdb90ec40f1e279bb648eb7e9d90ebe07b66d2
The scenarios above can be confusing so read them carefully. As always, jailbreaking is at your own risk. So please research before you attempt anything. Thanks Dev Team!
Update 1: I just created a custom 4.0 firmware (with v4.0) and restored my iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) and everything worked flawlessly on the first try. During your ‘restore from backup’ it might look frozen–but it’s not. Just let it run and it’ll finish. Mine took a long time.