Samsung’s $2600 CAD Galaxy Fold Will Launch in September with Design Fixes
Samsung’s costly Galaxy Fold, priced at $1,980 USD ($2600 CAD roughly), will launch in September with design fixes, the company has announced.
The Galaxy Fold suffered badly in the hands of early reviewers, as their test units had displays breaking after just one day of usage. Samsung promptly retrieved all review units from reviewers and went back to the drawing board and subsequently delayed the Galaxy Fold launch in late April.
An early iFixit teardown of the Galaxy Fold (which Samsung made iFixit take down afterwards) revealed a 7mm gap in the screen bezel, which caused dust and debris to enter the screen.
Late yesterday evening, Samsung issued a press release announcing the Galaxy Fold will make its debut in September.
“Since then, we’ve made improvements to Galaxy Fold to ensure consumers have the best possible experience,” said the company, referring to the start of the Galaxy Fold announcement.
“Samsung has taken the time to fully evaluate the product design, make necessary improvements and run rigorous tests to validate the changes we made,” adds the company.
Samsung listed the following “design and construction improvements” to the Galaxy Fold:
- The top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
- Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience:
- The top and bottom of the hinge area have been strengthened with newly added protection caps.
- Additional metal layers underneath the Infinity Flex Display have been included to reinforce the protection of the display.
- The space between the hinge and body of Galaxy Fold has been reduced.
The company says they are “conducting final product tests to make Galaxy Fold available to consumers starting from September in select markets.” There’s no word whether the Galaxy Fold will make its way into Canada, but stay tuned.