Microsoft’s Xbox Design Lab Brings Back Rubberized Grips, Adds New Metallic Finishes
After going on hiatus in October of last year, Microsoft’s Xbox Design Lab went back online in June. Microsoft has just announced that the Design Lab will be bringing back rubberized grips, and adding new metallic finishes and colour options.
Xbox Design Lab is a program you can use to “create your own personalized Xbox Wireless Controller,” with a slew of colours and other customization options to choose from.
Rubberized grips have been a fan favourite ever since they were introduced, as they are pretty grippy and improve both comfort and control. And now they’re back.
Microsoft also announced the following new additions to the Design Lab:
- 19 new metallic finish colours for D-Pads and Triggers including: Sterling Silver, Pewter Silver, Gunmetal Silver, Abyss Black, Retro Pink, Deep Pink, Oxide Red, Zest Orange, Gold, Electric Volt, Velocity Green, Glacier Blue, Dragonfly Blue, Mineral Blue, Photon Blue, Midnight Blue, Regal Purple, Nocturnal Green, and Warm Gold
- 3 new colour options for controller parts
- Introducing Dragonfly Blue
- Military Green has been updated to Nocturnal Green providing a richer earth color
- Electric Green has been updated to Velocity Green bringing this in line with the iconic Xbox color
- New “Inspired by” controller designs from Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Battlefield 2042, Forza Horizon 5, and Riders Republic to get your customization journey started
Take a look at Microsoft’s promo video for the new customization options:
In addition to the Design Lab’s newest additions, users can also customize the controller body, back case, D-pad, bumpers, triggers, thumbsticks, ABXY buttons, and View, Menu, and Share buttons. Customized Xbox Wireless Controllers can also be laser engraved with a custom 16-character message.
Customized controllers from the Xbox Design Lab start at $89.99 and go up from there depending on how many add-ons you pick. Each controller is made to order, and Microsoft says will be delivered within 3 to 4 weeks of order confirmation.