Starting today, November 15, 2021, Alberta is now requiring a vaccine record with a QR code, as proof of vaccination when entering businesses and venues that are implementing its Restrictions Exemption Program (REP).
One of the following will be required to enter businesses and venues that are participating in the REP:
- Alberta vaccine record with a QR code
- Canadian Armed Forces vaccine record
- First Nations immunization record
- Vaccine records issued by other provinces and territories
- ArriveCan app for international travellers and valid international travel identity document
- Negative privately paid COVID-19 test from within the previous 72 hours
- Valid proof of medical exemption
“Alberta’s more secure and scannable QR code vaccine record makes it easier for Albertans to safely take part in daily activities. Thank you to the more than three million Albertans who have been vaccinated and have already accessed their enhanced vaccine records. I encourage anyone who hasn’t yet been vaccinated to get the facts they need by speaking to their doctor,” said Jason Copping, Minister of Health, in a statement.
How to add your Alberta COVID-19 vaccine QR code to your iPhone? It’s simple.
Apple recently released its iOS 15.1 software update, which lets you add your QR code to the Wallet app on iPhone. This allows you to quickly show your QR code from the Wallet app, as seen below. The Vaccination Card on iPhone will show your name, vaccines received, dose dates and issuing authority.
You’ll need the latest vaccination QR code from Alberta (released Oct. 25), so if you downloaded an older version, go get the latest before proceeding with the following instructions:
- iPhone users: follow our tutorial on adding your QR code to Wallet on iPhone (basically, you just scan the QR code with your Camera app and follow the instructions)
- Android users: Try grassroots.vaccine-canada.ca; or if your phone supports Google Pay, go to Add Card > Loyalty Card > search for Alberta Health Services. This will result in only the QR code saved without info, but when the QR code is scanned, your info will appear.
If you want to save time, you could also create a Note on your phone that shows your vaccination QR code, plus a picture of your ID below it, to save time. But some places require seeing your original piece of ID.
Let us know if you’ve added your COVID-19 vaccination QR code to your iPhone or Android smartphone or not.