Here’s a chart of iPhone sales growth over the years—look at that current average selling price (via WSJ):
Here’s how the rest of the Apple product line looks compared to iPhone (via ArsTechnica):
Here are some of the numbers and interesting nuggets from the 2015 Q1 earnings call (via Six Colors):
- Cash: $178 billion
- Over 500 million visits to Apple retail stores
- 34,000 iPhone 6 models sold every hour, 24 hours a day, every day of the quarter.
- New iPhones hit 130 countries by the end of the quarter—fastest rollout ever
- November 22, 2014: 1 billionth iOS device shipped—a 64GB Space Gray iPhone 6 Plus
- Xcode downloaded over 11 million times in first month Swift made available
- 600+ developers have integrated HealthKit into apps
- Apple Pay: almost 750 banks and credit unions have signed on; Apple Pay takes 2 out of 3 contactless payments across three major credit card networks
- On Apple Pay expansion outside the U.S.: “There’s tons of things on our roadmap of adding functionality to it, we’re obviously just in the U.S. right now and so there’s tons of countries to go to and there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t get notes from many businesses outside the U.S. wanting Apple Pay, banks and merchants.”
Apple Pay international roll-out?
Each is a different implementation and so in some ways, there’s a different set of carriers in every country, there’s a different set of banks in a lot of the countries, some of the processes with the merchants are different. And so it’s an area where there’s quite a bit of difference country to country to country and so there’s clearly heavy lifting involved to scale. However, it’s not something that scares us or that’s preventing us from viewing it as a big opportunity.
- Tim Cook: “we are more convinced than ever that 2015 will be the year of Apple Pay.”
- Apple Watch: Cook says “Development for Apple Watch is right on schedule, and we expect to be shipping in April.”; also “I’m using it every day, and love it, and I can’t live without it.”
- Android switchers: “…current iPhone lineup experienced the highest Android switcher rate in any of the last three launches in any of the three previous years.”
- Apple TV: over 25 million sold to date
Canadians are eagerly waiting for Apple Pay and Apple Watch—both can’t come soon enough.