This morning at the annual Apple iPod Event, Apple released a major update to iTunes. The new version is iTunes 9 and is available now for download.
The update brings a slew of enhancements, some of which are listed below:
- Visual organization of applications.Â You can arrange your home screens and move apps around via iTunes
- Twitter/Facebook social networking integration
- Send songs (as gifts) to friends via Social Networks
- “iTunes LP” – Digital Album interactive content (videos, liner notes, credits and other customized content)
- Pre-cut Ringtones, $1.29 each, 30,000 available at launch
- Genius Mixes (Genius DJ puts songs together)
- Improved syncing. Sync a particular playlist, but also sync everything by a certain artist or everything in a genre.
- In photos (Mac), you can sync albums with events.
- New â€œhome-sharingâ€ in iTunes lets you copy songs, movies and TV shows among your five iTunes authorized computers. Now you can drag songs from other libraries into your library.
- Redesigned iTunes store for cleaner, easier navigation
- iTunes Extras (extra DVD content)
- Overall polish of menu lists and icon items, as they look very shiny, nice and refined
The update is available on Apple’s website, the Apple Software Update tool or through Mac System Update.
Jailbreakers and Unlockers should probably avoid the update to iTunes 9 until further notice.