Apple is set to release iOS 11 for the public tomorrow, along with watchOS 4 and tvOS 11. This morning, Apple issued a press release detailing the highlights of iOS 11—here’s what the company believes are the best new features of the next iOS.
- iPad Becomes Even More Powerful: new dock; Drag and Drop; new improved Files app
- Immersive Augmented Reality: ARKit set to unleash AR apps for iOS users
- Photos Look Even More Professional: new Loop and Bounce effects; Long Exposure
- The All-New App Store: completely redesigned; new iMessage App Store app drawer
- Siri is More Natural and Useful: translate US English into Mandarin, French, German, Italian or Spanish.
- Send Money to Friends with Apple Pay this Fall (U.S. only): not available in Canada 🙁
- Stay Focused on the Road: Do Not Disturb while driving mode
- More Ways to Navigate with Apple Maps: indoor maps for select malls and airports
- Discover New Music with Friends: create profiles; follow friends; notifications
The following 64-bit devices will support iOS 11:
iPhone 6/6 Plus
iPhone 6s/6s Plus
iPhone 7/7 Plus
iPhone 8/8 Plus
iPad mini 2/3/4
iPad Air/Air 2
iPad (5th gen)
9.7-inch iPad Pro
12.9-inch iPad Pro
10.5-inch iPad Pro
iPod touch (6th gen)
iOS 11 will not support 32-bit devices, which means your iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and iPad 4 will not make the cut, and neither will 32-bit apps (contact developers of your favourite apps and ask them to update).
macOS High Sierra is set to release later this month on September 25.