PM @JustinTrudeau First Canadian Politician to Hit 3 Million Twitter Followers
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has hit a milestone: 3 million followers on Twitter. According to Twitter Canada in a statement to iPhone in Canada, the mark was reached yesterday just after noon PDT.
Trudeau is the first Canadian politician to hit 3 million followers; former Prime Minister Stephen Harper is the only other Canadian politician past and present to hit 1 million followers.
Thanks, Twitter. In 140 or less, we’ll keep updating you on how we’re working hard for the middle class in 2017 and beyond. pic.twitter.com/YGTxBCFA2d
— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) March 18, 2017
Since assuming office, Twitter Canada says Trudeau has gained over two million followers; here’s a timeline of his Twitter accomplishments:
- 1M followers – 11/13/2015
- 2M followers – 10/6/2016
- 3M followers – 3/18/2017
Prime Minister Trudeau’s three most retweeted tweets of all-time include the following:
- #WelcomeToCanada from Jan 2017 – 428K Retweets
- #BellLetsTalk from Jan 2017 – 106K Retweets
- #WelcomeToCanada from Jan 2017 – 98K
Below, Twitter Canada has detailed the top five active and most followed politicians in Canada:
- Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau), Canadian PM – 3M
- Kevin O’Leary (@kevinolearytv), CPC leadership candidate – 636K
- Norm Kelly (@norm), Toronto city councillor – 504K
- Naheed Nenshi (@nenshi), Mayor of Calgary – 358K
- Elizabeth May (@ElizabethMay), Green Party leader and MP – 292K
How does our Prime Minister compare to other world leaders? Below are world leaders with 10 million or more followers:
- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi), Prime Minister of India – 28M
- Donald Trump (@realDonaldTrump), President of U.S. – 26.7M
- Pope Francis (@Pontifex) – 10.5M
Twitter has been keeping track of Canadian politicians and their Twitter activity frequently. Last month, it was revealed Toronto Mayor John Tory was the “most mentioned” mayor in Canada.