New iPhone Coming in June: AT&T Executives
Let’s get one thing straight: this summer, there is a very good possibility that a new iPhone will be coming our way. Last time we mentioned about a new iPhone coming in June leaked by an Etisalat news release, plus our most recent Rogers iPhone summer release post.
Couple in the recent preview of iPhone OS 3.0 along with the whole Palm Pre release, and it looks like this summer will be an interesting one. The latest rumor about a “new” iPhone coming our way is courtesy of some AT&T executives, according to the Boy Genius Report. Here is the following “leak” that has been “confirmed” to be accurate (don’t hold your breath!):
* New iPhone announcement around mid-June
* New iPhone will be faster and have a more seamless experience unmatched by any device (could be just talking about 3.0, but we think it’s also a new iPhone)
* U-Verse iPhone application; will allow control of your home DVR (play, pause, rewind, etc.)
* The annual iPhone launch is “becoming a tradition.”
* Nothing official is being confirmed, but they said that people should prep for an exciting time this summer.
* AT&T is said to be working with Apple to create a unified product with an unparalleled experience across all their products and services.
* Apple’s 3.0 software should tell us where the iPhone platform is going…
* They said customers shouldn’t need to choose from AT&T’s high-end devices because of features, they should choose based on preferences. The gap in capability should be filled with the new iPhone. Ok, bets on slide out QWERTY, autofocus camera, video sharing, blah blah?
* Seems like the higher speed HSDPA (7.2Mbps) is being hinted at too which should confirm the earlier rumors of the new Infineon chipset.
* The $99 3G netbook will start selling this summer, and the first one won’t be a Windows OS.
Just a Few Random Thoughts Regarding The Above…
I don’t know what kind of special cigarettes these executives are smoking, but the above info is pretty random to me. The notion that a slide out QWERTY on the iPhone becoming a reality is zero. We all know that Apple does not like buttons and relishes on the simplicity of its product designs.
Earlier when I heard of this story I retweeted it on Twitter. Now regarding the higher speed HSDPA (7.2Mbps), according to Ryan Block from Engadget had something very interesting to say. He mentioned that the “iPhone 3G uses Infineon PMB6952, which has always been capable of 7.2Mbps.” So that kicks this point out the window.
A $99 netbook from Apple? I don’t think anything from Apple even dips below that pricepoint, aside from the iPod Shuffle line up. Will a netbook become the “fourth pillar” to the existing Mac, iPod, and iPhone pillars? We’ll have to wait and see.
Keeping up with iPhone Hardware Will Require a Third Job and Second Mortgage
One last point regarding the above. Can we honestly afford to be upgrading our iPhones every single year if Apple keeps updating its hardware? My iPhone 3G has lasted almost a year and I still thoroughly enjoy it (3.0 will make it even better). Another hardware release could definitely sting our wallets even more, now that Rogers has changed their HUP from 12 to 24 months.
If all of these rumors have been floating around about a new iPhone, it means that Apple is going to release something in the summer, we just don’t know exactly what though. However, one thing for certain is that as we creep closer to summer, just expect the “new” iPhone rumors to get even juicier!