It looks like beta 2 of iOS 14.5 has more new features than meet the eye, and YouTube tech channel zollotech talks us through some of the most significant ones in a new video.
Beta 2 started rolling out less than two weeks after the first iOS 14.5 beta, which introduced the ability to unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch when Face ID won’t register your face because you’re wearing a mask, among other features.
Beta 2 fixes a number of bugs from the first beta, and further adds to the list of new features. Here are the most noteworthy ones:
- OS updates can now be installed over cellular networks (not available to all users yet)
- Cycling directions for Portland and San Diego in Apple Maps (also available on iOS 14.4)
- Individual lyrics from songs can be shared from the Music app
- Context menus in the Music app have been refreshed
- AirPlay menu in the Music app has been slightly resized
- Download icon in the Music app has been changed
- New informational popup in the Reminders app
- New shortcuts for orientation lock, and switching between network modes
- Slightly redesigned ‘App Privacy’ section for apps on the App Store in Dark Mode
- Bluetooth option to specify ‘Device Type’ for a connected device has been re-added
The equalizer (EQ) for the Music app (Settings > Music > EQ) is currently bugged and doesn’t work at all, reported zollotech.
iPadOS 14.5 beta 2 includes all of these features as well, but battery life issues on iPadOS, while not as severe as they were on the first beta, still exist.